Have you been spending your free time watching chefs like Gordon Ramsay and Jamie Oliver on lifestyle channels and wonder if there were any Best Knife Set Under $100?
Do you want to try your hand at making their delicious-looking recipes but don’t feel like you’ll be able to do it? A brilliant knife set will help you from preparing for the dish to the right up to its garnishing.
Now don’t be discouraged if you don’t have a knife set that will help you achieve those culinary feats you’ve been planning for so long! Here are 10 handpicked knife sets from Amazon.com that are sharp on the cutting board but easy on your pocket!
Find the best among the lot, get cooking! Some more tips are added at the end of this article to help you make your choice and take care of your knives after receiving them at your home!
The Best Knife Set Under $100 Reviewed
1. Cuisinart Advantage Color Collection 12-Piece Knife Set
This knife set from Cuisinart that will add a pop of color to your kitchen is just the perfect pick. It is one of the best knives set under $100 in the market. But these colorful knives in different colors will also help you keep a color code and thus avoid any possible cross-contamination during food preparation! The knife set comes with an extra padded layer of the sheath such that it can be conveniently stored in a drawer.
- Easy to slice with and clean thanks to ceramic coating
- Made of high-quality stainless steel
- The set includes Chef Knives, Slicing Knives, Serrated Bread Knives, a Santoku Knife, a Utility Knife, and a Paring Knife.
- It comes with amazing and matching blade guards as well as easy handles.
- The thick plastic handles may prove to affect the grip
- The blades may be too thick for certain vegetables
Yet, the Cuisinart collection is quite popular and has a 4.8-star customer rating on Amazon. This knife set looks elegant and is the set to begin your cooking adventure with.
2. Cuisinart C77WTR-15P Classic Forged Triple Rivet 15-Piece Set
If you do not like loud and bold colours, then worry not. This set just might be the one for you. It is one of the best classic and white-toned knives set in the market. It comes with a knife block for convenient storage and includes 15 knives, all for under $100.
- Stainless steel, high-quality carbon blades
- Sharp, razor-edged blades
- Durable bolster for better control and stability
- The edges are super sharp.
- The blades need to be re-sharpened from time to time.
The set contains all the essentials – a combination of slicing, chef’s, santoku, utility knife, and a santoku knife. On Amazon, the set has a breakthrough rating of 4.8 stars; it also ensures a lifetime warranty.
3. Kitchen Aid KKFSS14BO Classic Knife
This particular set of knives is simply brilliant. Using this, you can cut a variety of items and ingredients. If you might, you can as well order a customized design for the set.
- Well-balances blades
- Includes bamboo knife block and knife-sharpener
- Constructed using stainless steel from Germany.
- The edges are not remarkably sharp.
- Not dishwasher friendly/
The set is a tough and multi-faceted one. Stainless steel is used in making it and thus, it is equally sturdy as well. This is it for you, if you need a set that is cheap and great at the same time.
4. McCook MC21 Knife Sets (German Stainless Steel Knife)
This set is a German one. It comes with a selection of fifteen knives and is often used in eminent culinary practices and one of the best knife set under $100.
- High-carbon stainless steel knives
- Hardwood knife block with built-in sharpener
- Stronghold bolster
- Lightweight, if you prefer heavier handles
- Cleaning to be done by hand
This set is an amazing choice. Since the set has a huge expanse of selections, it is equally versatile. As well as a steak knife, the set includes a chef knife and a slicing knife. This perfect bundle of 4.7 ratings on Amazon.com offers durability and razor-sharp blades at a wonderful bargain.
5. Amazon Basics Premium Kitchen Knife Block Set
This set is made from stainless steel, and falls under the range of $100. With this one, you do not need to fuss over knives slipping and causing injury thanks to their good control and balance.
- Versatile and durable
- Good control and balance
- Not dishwasher-safe
- Handles could have been better
- Need to be sharpened often
Its package includes a block of hardwood, for an extra padding of safety. The design and the durability makes it stand apart from the rest. It is as affordable as well!
6. Jamie Oliver Happy Day 3-piece Knife Set
If you’re not excited to buy 14 or more pieces of knives, then you can surely check out this popular British chef’s Happy Day 3-piece knife set! These beautiful stainless steel knives are ideal for any task. They even have on the blades written their function- Chop, Slice or Dice! It contains a chef’s knife, a paring knife, a serrated knife. It has a 4.7-star rating on amazon.com as well!
- Dishwasher safe
- Non-stick coating on serrated blades
- Not extremely sharp
For less than $20, this knife set can be an ideal gift for anyone who’s just started learning to cook! These knives will make the boring meal prep fun! Once you get the hang of it, you can always upgrade to a bigger and better knife set!
7. Vremi 5 Piece Colorful Knife Set
Consider bringing home this colourful knife set if you are not satisfied with just 3 knives but still don’t want to get more than 10 knives. These knives in the set are shiny and razor sharp, giving it a positive 4.7 on amazon.com, making it one of the best knife set under $100.
- Stainless steel serrated blades
- Ideal for slicing meat or vegetables, peeling fruits or vegetables, etc.
- Include matching protective blade covers.
- Not dishwasher safe
This set is among the most popular and appropriate ones for modern kitchens. You’ll be getting five essential kitchen knives in this set, including a serrated as well as a slicing knife. A chef’s knife is also included.
8. Cuisinart C77SS 15-Piece Stainless Steel Hollow Handle Block Set
This knife set by Cuisinart is expensive-looking but gentle on your pocket. At a bargain price of under $100, you will be fetching a perfect deal of a five-knife set.
- Premium design
- Beautiful wooden block for storage
- Stainless steel material
- Bigger knives have better blades
- Run out of stock easily!
This set is a premium grade and does a lot to enhance your cooking experience. This set is the one, if you are seeking stress free cooking.
9. Farberware Edgekeeper 21-Piece Forged Triple Riveted Block Set
Farberware knives have a classy look and come in a set of triple-riveted stainless steel blades. This set has all the necessary knives, including a steak knife.It also comes with a pair of scissors.
- Wooden block with built-in knife sharpener
- Available with cutting boards as well
- Stainless steel blades
- Not dishwasher safe
- This one runs out of stock in a flash too!
These blades ensure long-lasting sharpness and make the cutting of foods easy. This set has an in-built sharpening system, setting it apart from the rest.
Here you can checkout the 11 Best and Most Budgeted Farberware Knife Set Reviews and Ultimate Buying guide.
10. Oster Evansville 14 Piece Cutlery Set
This is one fantastic set to choose. The set is turquoise in colour and texture; it contains 14-pieces of knives, and that makes it a bestseller knife set, it is also available in different colors including, blue, red, and black.
- Modern and highly-efficient
- Rubber wood block
- Full-tang knives
- High-quality stainless steel blades
- Not dishwasher-safe
- Need to be sharpened often
The set also contains knife sharpeners and scissors as well.These knives are built for better performance and are easy to handle for both beginners and experts.
Also Checkout:- Top 10 Recommended Kitchen Knives Set Under $50
A Buyer’s Guide – Types of Kitchen Knives Found in Sets
All the sets mentioned come with a variety of knives to choose from, they are some of the best knife set under $100. The following is a list of all household knives that are frequently used –
Chef’s knives are the most common, and have a variety of purposes. These are multipurpose. It can be as well used for chopping as much for slicing. Cutting can be done as well.
It has a curved center to quickly chopping food items by shifting the blade easily back and forth. The edge is a sharp point and it appropriately curves to create a V-shape edge.
These knives have an amazing Japanese design. The blade is almost 6 to 7 inches long, and they are used for dicing, slicing, and mincing. It has a very flat edge, and an oval blade. This curve is what sets santoku knives apart from sharp point Western-style knives. But it’s shorter blade offers better control, and with it you can make clean and smooth chopping
These knives are tiny, but serve a variety of purposes simultaneously. Purpose : Mincing, slicing, curving. Their blades are usually 4-6-inches long, similar in size to paring knives.
Paring knives are an absolute must-have for any kitchen kit. The blade is measured in length and is as much as 5 inches.
They’re perfect for making tiny but sharp cuts and can be used in the chopping of fruits and veggies. It can also be used for Paring. Paring can be a difficult affair if you are using a long blade! These knives are small and portable if you want to have fruits or salad on a picnic perhaps?!
Boning Knives are specially made for when you want to shred away or peel away beat from the bones. The blades and thin and sleek, and can easily extract the meat from around the bones. It is a blade between 4 to 6-inches long. It is the perfect fit for people who love searing the fish meat or other meat while hunting.
Like the boning knife, cleaver to help cut meat. They are usually of a length of 6 to 8 inches and are more than two pounds. Cleavers come in very handy when chopping off meat, and can be easily done so. The blade is not remarkably sharp but is designed in such a way so as to chop off meat effortlessly.
The blade has a serrated edge, implying that the wide-gaped and thick serrations will easily allow you to chop and cut through food items such as bread. These knives can be used for more items, than just slicing of breads. The serrations help slice softer fruits like tomatoes and even tough-skinned fruits like pineapple.
Looking for a top-notch knife set?
The following are some things you should keep in mind:
Depending on your purpose and budget constraints, you should pick up the set that works best for you. Selecting a good knife set is harder than it seems. You can’t just be looking at the sharpness of the blade or ergonomics of the handle; you also need to make sure that the set has the knives you need while it also a perfect fit for your budget.
How Many Knives Should I Buy?
It might happen that you are not aware of how to use all the four knives that are available in a standard set. In that case, you should not waste your money on a set of ten when you can get a better quality smaller knife set for the same price.
Block or No Block
Knife sets that come with a block will make your life easier. You won’t have to worry about storage. Often you might lack space in your home or kitchen to store the sets. In that case, be sure to use an extra block on the counter or other suitable storage extensions.
Shape and Look
Knives made of either ceramic or stainless steel are abundant. If you want your blades to be durable and last longer, you should be buying stainless steel knives. Remember to check that the handle is made from premium grade materials. A one-piece knife is the sturdiest option since it doesn’t have any joint between the blade and the handle.
What kind of blade to choose from is a menacing task. The following guide will assist you in making your decision:
Stainless steel has always been the most popular material for knife blades. It’s durable and long-lasting. But it is not completely stain-proof, though it resists staining and rusting. It will help the blade stay protected against decay, wear and tear, and corrosion.
However, A disadvantage of stainless-steel knives is that their edges dull more quickly so you’ll need to sharpen the edges quite often.
High-carbon steel is a stainless steel alloy that features high carbon content. These knives are sharper, and hence cutting is easier with these. However, there is no fixed composition of what constitutes high carbon. Buy the product from a reputable manufacturer to avoid doubt.
Ceramic blades are sleek but sharp, enabling veggies and fruits to be cut neatly. But they fall short on the weight and toughness for cutting meat and other frozen hardened items. However, sometimes it might get dull; in that case, you need to get sharpened.
Features of the Blade
Kitchen Knives have various elements, all of which are important is contributing to its functionality.
The curvature of a knife is the curve of the blade. Some blades are completely flat while a chef’s knife has a pointed but slanting edge. The curvature differs among different knife sets. Choose according to your needs.
The point or the foremost of the blade can be rounded as well as pointed. Pointed tips become helpful in piercing and dicing and rounded tips are for cutting thin slices.
The sets contain knives which have a variety of serrated edges. Whether it be a serrated knife or not, the edge must be sharp and comfortable for use.
This kind of edge on a blade is perfect for cutting through soft and smooth food items, such as loaves of bread or meat.
Kitchen knives usually have a single edge. A Double-edged knife is one that has two sharpened edges and which are very versatile. Sharpen the knife, the more effective it would be in chopping while also helping to determine its safety.
The handle should be as good as the material of the knives, when buying a set. It is preferable you do not buy sets where the handles are made from low materials and are not comfortable to hold at all.
Instead, look for handles with stainless steel. Even a handle made from laminated wood or resin can work fine. These handles are simple to maintain thanks to their natural moisture and temperature resistance. Don’t ignore the handle shape in the process!
The versatility of some knives and sets varies. It is always the best option to spend your money on a versatile and useful set, especially when you are looking for one to use in your home. Here are the most and least versatile items on the list:
- The chef’s knife is one of the most amazing ones in the set. It is a favored one since it is versatile, and can be used for a number of purposes.
- Santoku knives can be used too for most tasks. When compared to a chef’s knives, the Santoku knives often come off as more helpful in chopping.
- Paring knives can be used during times when you need to make neat and simple cuts, which are real smooth.
- Bread Knives can be used for chopping a variety of soft items as well.
- Utility knives are like paring knives but their fine blade is longer which may be ideal for larger hands.
- The Boning Knives are also included; these are used when you want to remove meat from the bones. Since these are specialized for one particular purpose, they are not versatile, but you can use them on various meats.
- Cleavers is yet another type; it is used to chop large food items, such as melon or meat. It helps in chopping them into smaller bits.
Certain knives have handles made from rubber to ensure a better hold or even silicone handles for extra grip, while others fit the contours of the hand, and some combine the two. Remember to check that the handles are not pointed or uneasy.
How to take care of your knives?
If well taken care of, kitchen knives last for a long time. Make sure to clean and sharpens the knives properly from time to time.
Brands often label their knives and sets as being dishwasher safe. However, it is better to clean them manually and then dry them thoroughly.
Sharpening the knives
A razor-sharp knife is safe but a dull or unsharpened knife requires extra force to cut, which increases the probability of slipping and causing injury. So, to keep your knife sharp, you can use the following methods-
- Manual knife sharpener: It has V-shaped steels of circle, which can be rotated. Pull the knife gently across the sharpener. It’s compact, easy to store, and usually the most pocket-friendly alternative.
- Sharpening stones or whetstones: Sharpening stones are for experienced chefs which produce the sharpest knives. The stones can be quite expensive and it’s a time-consuming method. If you still wish to try it, here are the steps for sharpening the knives using whetstones:
- Soak the whetstones and keep them wet as you sharpen the knives.
- Select the area where the whetstone is rough, and draw the blade along it.
- Repeat this sharpening process, interchanging the stones with finer ones to get the desired level of sharpness on your knife.
Now that you’ve reached the end, hope all your doubts are cleared! Now get the tools that suit your needs and hone your culinary skills as sharp as these knives to get bragging rights as the Ramsay of your group! Also, you don’t have to burn a hole in your pocket because some of the best knife set under $100 are here for you. Happy cooking!